This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign is “Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention”. Fire Prevention Week is October 8 – 14.
There are simple but essential actions you can take to keep yourselves and those around you safe when cooking.
• Turn the pot handles toward the back of the stove.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, baking, roasting, grilling, or broiling. Set a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
• Remember – anything can catch on fire – keep oven mitts, wooden utensils, towels, or curtains away from the stovetop.
• Remember to unplug appliances when they are not in use.
• When using an air fryer, make sure you give it some space so the steam can ventilate.
• When using a hotplate or griddle, stay close when cooking.
• When using a slow cooker, ensure it is in a place where it won’t get bumped and away from things that can catch fire.
Help Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue kick off Fire Prevention Week with our
FREE PANCAKE BREAKFAST
Sunday, October 8 from 9 am-12 noon. The location is Fire Station #4 at 400 Squire Pope Road.
For more information
By: Cinda Seamon – Fire & Life Safety Educator, Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue