If you are on a boat this summer, make sure there is a life jacket for everyone. Children should keep them on at all times.
Here are a few other items good to have onboard:
• A flashlight – that way other boats can see you if the weather turns bad. You can also use it to signal in the dark.
• An anchor and anchor line.
• A bucket can bail out any water that gets in the boat.
• A first aid kit is a must!
• Two ropes (lines). You can use them to tie up the boat and also to help a person overboard get back to and in the boat.
• Big garbage bags can serve as a rain poncho in a pinch or you can make a “tent” over your boat to protect you in a rainstorm.
• Sunscreen and bug spray.
• A toolkit.
Be prepared so you can make it a safe and enjoyable boating season!
By: Cinda Seamon
Fire & Life Safety Educator, HHI Fire Rescue